Friday, April 18, 2008

First Post - About Me

The recent demise of TV Guide's podcast has left a giant hole in my heart and finally lit the fire under my butt to start reviewing and summarizing television shows in a blog-like fashion myself. As this is my first post, I should probably give you some background. My name is Randi and I'm 27 years old. From the age of about 8 to about 16, I was a walking television guide. The Fall TV preview issue of TV Guide was the thing that I waited for all year. I couldn't wait to fall in love with new characters and new settings. Immersing myself in a fairy-tale land of television was a nightly activity. I grew up with Brandon and Brenda Walsh, learned about my period with Felisha Rashad in her very special guest spot on Blossom, swooned over Jordan Catalano with Angela Chase, and learned more about my parents' generation with Kevin and Winnie Cooper.

Though I do love movies, they have never quite compared to the familiarity and attachment that you get from television characters. There is something magical about a story that continues on a weekly basis. Every year it seems I have more and more scheduling conflicts for all of the TV shows that I want to watch. Below is a list of everything that I presently watch (in a timeline order for memory purposes):

*Greek
*Dancing with The Stars
*Big Bang Theory
*How I Met Your Mother
*Gossip Girl
*Samantha Who?
*The Bachelor
*American Idol
*Beauty & The Geek
*Big Brother
*Hell's Kitchen
*Top Chef
*Men in Trees
*Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites
*My Name is Earl
*30 Rock
*The Office
*Scrubs
*Ugly Betty
*Gray's Anatomy
*Lost
*Desperate Housewives
*Brothers & Sisters
*Family Guy

In the fall, I'm liable to pick up even more television, especially if there are good pilots out there. Also, the return of Pushing Daisies, Friday Night Lights, Dirty Sexy Money, Private Practice, Entourage, Big Love, The Amazing Race, and many other shows is making me quite excited for the Fall! I also love the summer reality shows like So You Think You Can Dance, which is one of my absolute favorites.

So that's me in a nutshell. Expect to read a little bit about each of those shows, as well as movies that I end up seeing both in the theater and on DVD. At home from Netflix, I presently have Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (gearing up for this May's Indy) and I just sent back disc 1 of Freaks & Geeks, The Complete Series. That show is absolutely genius! Lars & The Real Girl and the 2nd disk of Freaks & Geeks should be coming soon. I'm also in the middle of season 2 of Arrested Development on hulu.com, which if you haven't heard of hulu, go check it out now! They have full series available for streaming as well as some excellent films. Keep in mind that not everything on there is quite that excellent. But "Dude, Where's My Car?", comic genius!

In my next post, expect to read my thoughts on Thursday Night NBC comedies: My Name is Earl, 30 Rock, The Office, and Scrubs.

No comments: